Have you initiated proposal writing but do you like to receive suggestions to improve your proposal? Or have you submitted a grant application that is not selected for funding? Our specialists can review your proposal documents to take your application to the next level!
Experts in enhancing your grant application | proposal reviewing
Besides supporting clients with grant writing from the very first project idea onwards, our specialists assist grant applicants by reviewing their proposals. We perform reviews for a multitude of grants, varying from personal grants for individual researchers, grants for single companies and consortium proposals for European grants. We have experience in multiple fields, including Social Sciences and Humanities, Physics, Chemistry, ICT, Sustainability, Transport, High Tech Systems and Materials and Life Sciences & Health.
Taking your application to the next level
We perform reviews when applicants have a preference to write the proposal themselves. Our role is to make sure that the ideas of the researcher are described clearly, understandably and in a structured manner. We do this by reviewing the text and commenting on how it could be improved. In this way, we ensure that the proposal fits perfectly with what the evaluators expect to read.
Examples of personal grants we regularly review are the European Research Council (ERC) Starting, Consolidator and Advanced grants, Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships and the Dutch NWO Veni, Vidi and Vici grants. For large consortia, we can review all Horizon 2020 (H2020) Research and Innovation Action, Marie Sklodowska-Curie International Training Network and COFUND proposals. For companies, we work on Eurostars, SME instrument phase I and II proposals.
Our tasks when reviewing a proposal
Ultimately, the aim of reviewing is to improve the evaluation score of your proposal, so your chances of getting funded increase.
- From the first page onwards, the proposal should grasp the reader, so that he/she continues reading. We thus give comments that will improve ‘selling’ the proposal idea.
- We take a critical look at the proposal and read it as if we were the evaluator. We always take into account who the evaluators are. These can be people that have a scientific background, business developers, or regional administrators.
- We give comments to improve structure of the text and clarity, and put emphasis on the fact that the text should be understandable to the reviewers.
- Furthermore, we keep a strict eye on the evaluation criteria of the grant provider to ensure the proposal meets these.
- We give suggestions for illustrations that explain the ideas of the applicant.
- If applicable, we give tips to improve the CV of the applicant.
- If necessary, we give interview training to the applicant and help structuring and designing the slides.
- Lastly, we do a check on page length, margins, font size, etc.
Hezelburcht | your innovation and knowledge partner
Our team of specialists consists of consultants with high-quality backgrounds at either the MSc or PhD level. One of our roles is to provide grant advice regarding fundamental scientific research. Our specialists speak your language and their backgrounds match your research field. Therefore, they are able to help you take your application to the next level!