The upcoming ninth multiannual financial framework (MFF) starting in 2021 until 2027, Horizon Europe, aims to be more ambitious and more impact-oriented than its predecessor – Horizon 2020 Horizon 2020 is the predecessor of Horizon Europe and currently the biggest European funding programme for research and innovation. It is designed to support research institutions, (local) governments, companies and individual researchers. The programme has a budget of € 80 billion until 2020. – and not only on account of the budget being in excess of € 95.5 billion.
The next European research and innovation framework programme
Horizon Europe pillars: Excellent Science, Global Challenges & European Industrial Competitiveness and Innovative Europe
(European Commission, 2021)
- Excellent Science: This pillar is focused on stimulating fundamental research through funding via the European Research Council (ERC) grants and on advancing researchers’ (international) mobility and training via the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA). There will also be grants available to strenghten the quality and accessibility of (world-class) Research Infrastructures.
- Global Challenges & European Industrial Competitiveness: The second pillar is focused on key technologies and solutions underpinning EU policies & Sustainable Development Goals within the following six clusters:
- Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society;
- Civil Security for Society;
- Digital, Industry and Space;
- Climate, Energy and Mobility;
- Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment.
- Innovative Europe: The final pillar is aimed at enhancing Europe’s innovation output by bringing together key actors (research, education and business).
- Besides the three aforementioned pillars, Horizon Europe is also focused on widening participation and strengthening the European Research Area (ERA) for a more innovative Europe.
We will be regularly publishing updates to keep you informed about Horizon Europe. Keen to build awareness regarding your project or company? The specialists at Hezelburcht are experienced in advocating for change and networking at regional, national and international levels. We look forward to supporting and advising you in your endeavours. Please contact us for more information!