The Horizon Europe Work Programmes 2023 – 2024: what to expect (part 1)
Although draft Horizon Europe Work Programmes (WP) are generally not pre-published, Hezelburcht has come across leaked information published on Science Business that gives insight into what kind of topics and budgets are to be expected for the year 2023 – 2024. This is a summary of that leaked information:
Cluster 1: Health
- About € 1 billion in 2023 and € 500 million in 2024 will be spent on health research;
- A large portion (€ 551 million) will go to projects tackling diseases including cancer and other non-communicable diseases, preparedness and response to health threats;
- Another part of the funding will go to prevention, looking into environmental factors that have an impact on health, health care system transformation, including accelerating the development of personalised medicine, boosting the competitiveness of the health industry and creating digital health tools.
Cluster 2: Culture, Creativity & Inclusive Society
- This cluster will receive € 291 million in 2023 and € 260 million in 2024;
- This will go to research into democracy and governance, cultural heritage and creative industries, and social and economic transformations.
Cluster 3: Civil Security for Society
- The budget for this cluster is € 171 in 2023 and € 161 million in 2024;
- This will go to projects helping fight crime and terrorism, the management of external borders; protecting infrastructures, cybersecurity, increasing Europe’s resilience to disasters and increasing the uptake of security innovation.
Cluster 4: Digital, Industry & Space
- € 1.67 billion in 2023 and € 1.12 billion in 2024 will go to boosting EU’s strategic autonomy;
- Three large portions will go to environmentally sustainable and digitized production, increasing autonomy in key strategic value chains, and creating technologies for the Green Deal.
Cluster 5: Climate, Energy & Mobility
- This cluster receives € 1.655 billion for climate energy and mobility projects in 2023 and € 1.112 billion in 2024;
- Energy will be the most important focus area, receiving over € 1 billion for energy supply-related projects in 2023 and 2024;
- Energy efficiency will also be a focus area;
- A large portion of the budget will go to transport of which clean and competitive transport research and smart and resilient transport and mobility;
- Projects on climate science and responses to it as well as cross-sector Green Deal research will also receive funding.
Cluster 6: Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture & Environment
- The total budget for this cluster is € 1.056 billion in 2023 and € 903.9 million in 2024;
- This includes funding for sustainability-related projects as well as Green Deal-oriented missions;
- Topics of interest are research in biodiversity and ecosystem services, food systems and circular economy and bioeconomy sectors;
- A portion of the budget goes to tackling pollution, reducing emissions, support for rural, coastal and urban communities, and governance for the EU’s Green Deal.
More information on Horizon Europe in 2023 and 2024
Mind you, all the information in this article is still subject to change. Although draft versions generally do not change much, there is always a possibility that it does. Keep this in mind when reading leaked information on the Work Programmes.
For now, we recommend you to wait on the official publication of the final drafts/versions before you decide to build your proposal around a certain theme or call. However, our specialists are at any time happy to advise you on the best course of action for finding the right funding for your project or research. This way you are prepared for the upcoming Horizon Europe Work Programme 2023 – 2024.