Horizon 2020 Health
The ‘Societal challenges’ pillar of the Horizon 2020 European grant programme brings together resources and knowledge to find solutions to societal issues. One important challenge is to improve the well-being and health of European citizens by anticipating demographic changes. Billions of euros in funding have been made available until 2020 for the specific challenge ‘Health, demographic change and well-being’, also known as Horizon 2020 Health.
Themes of the Horizon 2020 Health calls
The Horizon 2020 programme supports international consortia consisting of universities, companies and/or hospitals. Various calls have been announced for the Health theme for 2020.
Better health and care, economic growth and sustainable health (BHC)
- Personalised medicine | This priority focuses on innovative, personalised healthcare / healthcare solutions for citizens.
- Innovative health and care industry | This priority focuses on the translation of innovative knowledge and technologies into practical applications for the purpose of healthcare, happy citizens and business.
- Infectious diseases and improving global health | This priority tackles infectious diseases and the health of vulnerable groups for the purpose of preventing, detecting and treating worldwide diseases.
- Innovative health and care systems – Integration of care | This priority focuses on the development of effective, sustainable and accessible health care interventions and integrated healthcare systems.
- Decoding the role of the environment for health and well-being | The last priority investigates the impact of the environment on the health and well-being of citizens.
Digital transformation in Health and Care (DTH)
This call focusses on supporting healthcare and well-being management in which the participation of citizens is simultaneously stimulated. In addition to this, the call’s aim is to provoke a scientific breakthrough from traditional health care and services to digitalised, personal and community-based models. The future will require more accessible, sustainable healthcare systems. Integration of Ehealth, Mobile Health and ICT-applications will be the key to contributing to ‘Active and Healthy Aging’.
Trusted digital solutions and cybersecurity in Health Care
This theme aims to guarantee multidisciplinary technologies and solutions that integrate cybersecurity initiatives which secure the privacy, security and protection of health care infrastructure. Creating awareness of cybersecurity applications in hospitals and the development of protocols to deal with cyberattacks is the major priority of this theme.
- Smart and healthy living at home | The focus of this call is personalised, intelligent, digital solutions that support maintaining and expanding on a healthy and independent life. Solutions that integrate personalisation, risk detection and risk intervention can apply for funding.
- Toolkit for assessing and reducing cyber risks in hospitals and care centres to protect privacy/ data/ infrastructure | Using digital technologies such as Big Data, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence or Internet of Things will improve the security of ICT infrastructures in healthcare institutions and hospitals. The call focusses on projects that can prevent cyberattacks.
Would you like to receive personal advice about Horizon 2020 Health grant possibilities for your project? Our team of Life Sciences and Health and ICT experts would be pleased to help you find the perfect Horizon 2020 call for your project.
Besides supporting organisations in applying for national and European grants, we offer support regarding consortium building and grant project management. Read more about our services here.
>>> Below an overview of specific Health related H2020 calls >>>
The following Health related H2020 calls open this year. Start preparing your proposal as soon as possible! For futher information or advice, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Call – Better Health and care, economic growth and sustainable health systems
- SC1-HCO-01-2018-2019-2020: Actions in support of the International Consortium for Personalised Medicine
- SC1-BHC-06-2020: Digital diagnostics – developing tools for supporting clinical decisions by integrating various diagnostic data
- SC1-HCO-03-2020: Bridging the divide in health research and innovation – boosting return on investment
- SC1-HCO-14-2020: ERA-NET: Sustained collaboration of national and regional programmes in cancer research
- SC1-HCO-16-2020: ERA-NET: Sustained collaboration of national and regional programmes in research on brain-related diseases and disorders of the nervous system
- SC1-HCO-17-2020: Coordinating and supporting research on the human microbiome in Europe and beyond
Innovative health and care industry
- SC1-BHC-08-2020: New interventions for Non-Communicable Diseases
- SC1-BHC-11-2020: Advancing the safety assessment of chemicals without the use of animal testing
- SC1-HCO-18-2020: Developing methodological approaches for improved clinical investigation and evaluation of high-risk medical devices
- SC1-HCO-19-2020: Reliable and accessible information on cell and gene-based therapies
Infectious diseases and improving global health
- SC1-BHC-17-2020: Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD) – Prevention and/or early diagnosis of cancer
- SC1-BHC-20A-2020: Pre-commercial procurement (PCP) for integrated care solutions
- SC1-BHC-20B-2020: Public procurement of innovative solutions (PPI) for diagnostics for infectious diseases
- SC1-BHC-33-2020: Addressing low vaccine uptake
- SC1-BHC-34-2020: New approaches for clinical management and prevention of resistant bacterial infections in high prevalence settings
- SC1-BHC-35-2020: Creation of a European wide sustainable network for harmonised large-scale clinical research studies for infectious diseases
- SC1-HCO-07-2020: ERA-NET to support the Joint Programming Initiative on Antimicrobial resistance (JPIAMR)
Innovative health and care systems – Integration of care
- SC1-BHC-24-2020: Healthcare interventions for the management of the elderly multimorbid patient
- SC1-BHC-37-2020: Towards the new generation of clinical trials – trials methodology research
- SC1-HCO-20-2020: Coordination of clinical research activities of the European Reference Networks
Decoding the role of the environment, including climate change, for health and well- being
- SC1-BHC-29-2020: Innovative actions for improving urban health and wellbeing – addressing environment, climate and socioeconomic factors
- SC1-BHC-36-2020: Micro- and nano-plastics in our environment: Understanding exposures and impacts on human health
Supporting the digital transformation in health and care
- SC1-DTH-12-2020: Use of Real-World Data to advance research on the management of complex chronic conditions
- SC1-DTH-13-2020: Implementation research for scaling up and transfer of innovative solutions involving digital tools for people-centred care
- SC1-HCC-10-2020: Towards a Health research and innovation Cloud: Capitalising on data sharing initiatives in health research
Call – Digital transformation in Health and Care
- SC1-DTH-02-2020: Personalised early risk prediction, prevention and intervention based on Artificial Intelligence and Big Data technologies
- SC1-DTH-04-2020: International cooperation in smart living environments for ageing people
- SC1-DTH-06-2020: Accelerating the uptake of computer simulations for testing medicines and medical devices
- SC1-DTH-14-2020: Pre-commercial Procurement for Digital Health and Care Solutions
- SC1-HCC-06-2020: Coordination and Support to better data and secure cross-border digital infrastructures building on European capacities for genomics and personalised medicine
- SC1-HCC-07-2020: Support for European eHealth Interoperability roadmap for deployment
- SC1-HCC-08-2020: Scaling up innovation for active and healthy ageing
- SC1-HCC-09-2020: Supporting deployment of eHealth in low and lower middle income countries in Africa for better health outcomes
Call – Trusted digital solutions and Cybersecurity in Health and Care
Focus Area on Digitising and transforming European industry and services
- DT-TDS-04-2020: AI for Genomics and Personalised Medicine
- DT-TDS-05-2020: AI for Health Imaging