Improve the health care system with the upcoming Innovative Health Initiative (IHI)
The Innovative Health Initiative (IHI), the successor to the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI), is a partnership between the European Union (EU) and European pharmaceutical industry partners. IHI’s approach moves the focus from disease care to health care, starting with disease prevention, and covering diagnostics, (personalised) treatments, and disease management. There will be a total budget of € 2,4 billion available. Are you currently working on a project that might improve the health care system? Then your project will be able to help lay the foundations for safer and more effective health care products or solutions that respond to unmet public health needs.
For whom is Innovative Health Initiative?
Health research and care increasingly involves diverse sectors. By supporting projects that bring these sectors together, IHI will pave the way for a more integrated approach to healthcare, covering prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and disease management. The calls will be open to applications by organisations like universities, research organisations, patient organisations, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and mid-sized companies. However, only projects from a consortium with at least 3 independent entities from different EU’s Member States or Associated Countries are eligible for IHI funding.
Goals of the Innovative Health Initiative
The core goals are to translate health research and innovation into benefits for patients and society, and ensure that Europe remains at the cutting edge of interdisciplinary, sustainable, patient-centric health research. The general objectives are to:
- Turn health research and innovation into real benefits for patients and society;
- Deliver safe, effective health innovations that cover the entire spectrum of care – from prevention to diagnosis and treatment – particularly in areas where there is an unmet public health need;
- Make Europe’s health industries globally competitive.
Do you have the same goals and ambitions as IHI? Then perhaps your projects is a match for this new programme!
Proposed theme’s for projects
There will be two types of call for which you can submit an application: single-stage calls and two-stage calls. The following themes may be included in the first IHI calls for proposals:
- Innovative patient-facing care pathways for patients with neurodegenerative diseases and comorbidities;
- Next generation imaging and image-guided diagnosis and therapy for cancer;
- Precision oncology: Innovative patient-centric, multi-modal therapies against cancer;
- Access and integration of heterogeneous health data for improved health care in diseases areas of high unmet public health need.
- New tools for prediction, prevention and monitoring of cardio-metabolic diseases including secondary manifestations to enable timely intervention;
- Strengthening EU clinical development excellence and innovation attractiveness: Harmonised methodology to promote the uptake of early feasibility studies (EFS).
Important dates to take note of
The official launch of the first single-stage call and two-stage call is expected in mid-June 2022. Full applications for the single stage call and the short proposals for the two-stage call should be submitted by the end of September 2022. The deadline for full applications for the two-stage call will be end of February 2023.
Please note: proposed themes and dates are indicative and may be subject to change.
In need of advice or support with your Innovative Health Initiative application?
Do you want to apply for the IHI programme? Then start early with finding partners and preparing your application. Our specialists will be happy to support you in writing your IHI application. Contact us for more information on this programme and how we can be of service!