Innovative Health Initiative (IHI)
Organisations related to the pharmaceutical industry
Pharmaceutical research and innovations
€ 2.4 billionMore information
The Innovative Health Initiative (IHI) is the successor to the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI). This programme facilitates research and innovation at European level with the aim of creating a strong ecosystem within the pharmaceutical industry. Your innovation can contribute to this if it is safe, effective, people-centred and cost-effective. Important research areas are prevention, diagnostics, treatment and disease management.
What do we know about the Innovative Health Initiative?
IHI is a partnership between the European Union (EU) and European pharmaceutical industry partners: COCIR, EFPIA, EuropaBio, MedTech Europe and Vaccines Europe. The initiative aims to improve the health and well-being of European citizens. The aim is to stimulate projects that will be able to help lay the foundations for safer and more effective health care products or solutions that respond to unmet public health needs.
In addition, there will be an additional focus on cross-sectoral projects involving the biopharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical technology sectors, as well as companies active in the digital area.
For whom is IHI?
IHI, like its predecessor, will facilitate cooperation between for example the industry, universities, research organisations, SMEs, large companies and other health stakeholders. Applications can only be submitted by consortia with at least 3 independent entities from different EU Member States or Associated Countries.
The programme will consist of both single-stage and two-stage calls. The following themes are proposed for the upcoming calls:
- Innovative patient-facing care pathways for patients with neurodegenerative diseases and comorbidities;
- Next generation imaging and image-guided diagnosis and therapy for cancer;
- Precision oncology: Innovative patient-centric, multi-modal therapies against cancer;
- Access and integration of heterogeneous health data for improved health care in diseases areas of high unmet public health need.
- New tools for prediction, prevention and monitoring of cardio-metabolic diseases including secondary manifestations to enable timely intervention;
- Strengthening EU clinical development excellence and innovation attractiveness: Harmonised methodology to promote the uptake of early feasibility studies (EFS).
A total budget of € 2.4 billion has been proposed:
- The EU will contribute € 1.2 billion from the Horizon Europe programme;
- Industry partners will contribute € 1 billion;
- Finally, the European Commission is prepared to match this contribution with € 200 million.
More information about the Innovative Health Initiative
Would you like to stay informed about the latest developments regarding the IHI programme? Then keep a close eye on this page! For questions about other grant programmes or our services, please call us or contact us via 088 495 20 00 or email@example.com.