Circular Bio-based Europe Joint Undertaking (CBE JU)
All kinds of organisations; from businesses to knowledge and educational institutions, governments and civil society organisationss
The development of bio-based innovationsMore information
Are you working on the development of bio-based products? Good news: the successful European programme Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) will be succeeded by Circular Bio-based Europe Joint Undertaking (CBE JU). This means new funding opportunities for bio-based innovations. The programme falls under Horizon Europe and runs from 2021 to 2031.
What can CBE JU mean for you and Europe?
You are able to receive a subsidy from CBE JU which allows you to realize your bio-based innovation. This also reduces the financial risk of your project. Moreover, with your innovation, Europe will be one step closed to becoming a cleaner, more sustainable and circular society. Renewable bio-based products and materials are an important link in the transition to climate neutrality.
For whom is this programme?
CBE JU brings together all kinds of parties from the bio-based industry; from farmers to researchers. Private and public partnerships will be able to submit a proposal for CBE JU.
Objectives of CBE JU 2021-2031
The new programme aims to:
- Accelerate the innovation process and the development of innovative bio-based solutions;
- Accelerate the market application of existing mature and innovative bio-based solutions;
- Ensure a high level of environmental performance of industrial bio-based systems.
Innovation actions – flagship (IA-flagship)
- Optimised and integrated woody-based value chains (€ 17 million)
- Expansion and/or retro-fitting of biorefineries towards higher-value bio-based chemicals and intermediates (€ 17 million)
- Bio-based packaging materials with improved properties: barrier, food contact, forming, printability, safety, recyclability/circularity-by-design (€ 17 million)
- Valorisation of aquatic biomass waste and residues (€ 10 million)
Innovation actions (IA)
- Small-scale biorefining in rural areas (€ 15 million)
- Production of safe, sustainable, and efficient bio-based fertilisers to improve soil health and quality (€ 15 million)
- Improve fermentation processes (including downstream purification) to final bio-based products (€ 15 million)
- Recycling bio-based plastics increasing sorting and recycled content (upcycling) (€ 15 million)
- Development of scalable, safe bio-based surfactants with an improved sustainability profile (€ 15 million)
- Selective, sustainable production routes towards bio-based alternatives to fossil-based chemical building blocks (€ 15 million)
- High performance, circular-by design, bio-based composites (€ 15 million)
Research and innovation actions (RIA)
- Phyto-management; curing soil with industrial crops, utilising contaminated and saline land for industrial crop production (€ 10 million)
- Optimised forest-based value chains for high-value applications and improved forest management (€ 10 million)
- Robust and optimised industrial biotech and chemical/industrial biotech processes (€ 10 million)
- Development of novel, high-performance bio-based polymers and co-polymers (€ 10 million)
- Pre-normative research to develop standards for biodegradability of bio-based products in controlled and open environments (€ 5 million)
Coordination and support actions (CSA)
- EU-wide network of pilot plants and testing facilities, improving SMEs and start-ups’ access to scale-up (€ 1.5 million)
- Supporting the capacity of regions in environmental sustainability assessment for the bio-based sectors (€ 3 million)
Support with your application
Hezelburcht has extensive experience in supporting European applications. We have supported consortia both in putting together a consortium and in writing and submitting a successful application. Do you also need support in applying for funding for your project? Or would you like to discuss the possibilities of CBE JU with a specialist? Please contact us via 088 495 20 00 or email@example.com for an introductory meeting.