Public-private partnerships within Horizon 2020
Horizon 2020 is the biggest European funding programme for research and innovation. The programme encourages scientific breakthroughs and innovation by both the academic and private sector. Through partnerships, the programme pools Europe’s resources to tackle current and emerging challenges, to develop close synergies with regional and national programmes, to support sector’s competitiveness that deliver high quality jobs and to encourage greater private investment in innovative pioneer research.
Joint Technology Initiatives for public-private collaborations
The European Union emphasizes the importance of public-private partnerships by the introduction of the Joint Technology Initiatives (JTIs), which are subdivided in Joint Undertakings (JUs). The JTIs focus on specific areas of strategic importance and organise their own research agenda and award funding for projects on the basis of open calls.
Joint Undertaking programmes
- Bio-Based Industries (BBI JU) | The initiative is a public-private partnership between the EU and the Bio-based Industries Consortium. BBI JU is dedicated to finance projects that are dedicated to transform renewable, natural resources into innovative bio-based products. For more information, please visit this page.
- Clean Sky (CS JU) | Clean Sky is a public private partnership between the European aeronautics industry and the European Commission. The initiative Clean Sky 2 focuses on further integrating breakthrough technologies at aircraft level and delivering in-flight demonstration of novel architectures and configurations enabling changes in environmental and economic performance.
- Electronic Components and Systems for European Leadership (ECSEL JU) | The initiative is a public private partnership which aims to keep Europe at the forefront of technology development by stimulating ‘smart’ technology implementations based on integrating semiconductor chips running embedded software.
- Fuel Cells and Hydrogen (FCH JU) | The initiative is a public-private partnership between the European Commission, Europe’s fuel cell and hydrogen industry and research organizations. FCH2 JU finances R&D and demonstrations projects on hydrogen and fuel cells and aims to accelerate the commercial deployment of hydrogen-based-energy and transport solutions across Europe. For more information, please visit this page.
- Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI JU) | To speed up the development of safer and better medicines for patients, the European Union and the pharmaceutical industry association EFPIA collaborate within the IMI initiative. The joint undertaking supports collaborative research projects and helps building up networks of industrial and academic experts to boost the level of pharmaceutical innovation in Europe.
- Single European Sky (SESAR) | The initiative focuses on the development of the new generation air traffic management system capable of ensuring the safety and fluidity of air transport worldwide over the next thirty years. SESAR aims to provide an effective remedy to air transport capacity bottlenecks, fill gaps in the current air traffic management system, enable significant reduction of CO2 emissions, increase safety and reduce overall costs.
- Shift2Rail | The JU initiative includes a public-private partnership between the European Union and the railway sector. The initiative strives to achieve the following goals by funding projects that focus on: doubling railway capacity in Europe, increasing reliability and punctuality and cutting the life-cycle of railway transport. Shift2Rail’s overall goals is to make daily life easier for millions of European passenger and rail freight users.
Extensive experience with Horizon 2020
Hezelburcht has extensive experience in supporting Horizon 2020 applications. Our grant specialists speak the clients’ language. Their backgrounds match their clients’ sectors. Because of their high-quality backgrounds, the grant specialists are able to support applications for all the previously mentioned topics. Our grant support includes setting up grant projects, building consortia and writing and submitting the final applications.
Should you need support for a Joint Undertaking application? Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.